My daughter happened upon WordSmart advertising about giving her scholarship help.We should have turned and run when we found out that it actually was about vocabulary and speech and written communication skills and had nothing to do with scholarships.

However, we bought their expensive SAT prep package wanting to help our daughter get a leg up. They told us that there were other packages that they sold but that we were under no obligation to buy them. When we got the SAT prep stuff my daughter looked at it and told us that she had been using similar stuff online for FREE. Well we ended up misplacing the disks and were not able to return them within 30 days so we figured we would just chalk it up to experience and forget about it.

What WordSmart did not tells us and what we had not agreed to were the recurring monthly charges that started showing up on our credit card and then we got another package that billed $60 to our credit card. So we called them up wanting to return this new package and get the recurring charges to stop but were told that we had agreed to them on the phone and that the phone call had been recorded so that they had proof. They were extremely rude an confrontational hardly letting us get a word in edgewise. After a long time they finally agreed to review the recorded phone call and get back to us.

We did get a call back and they told us that they would remove the $60 charge but we do not know if the monthly charges will also go away. I will be filing a complaint with the BBB about them as well ...

A word to the wise ...STAY AWAY FROM THESE SHYSTERS.

Had an Experience with WordSmart?

Comments

Cell Phone TX 569-8015 just called again. Don't answer that number!

OH WOW!Did I dodge a bullet on this one!

The WordSmart rep called from 569-8015 (Cell Phone TX) and not from a line calling itself WordSmart. I even mentioned to the rep that the caller id he was using was not identifiable. Oh course, the "individuals" who requested the info were not home but "had" requested the info.

It wasn't until there was talk of giving my credit card on the phone that the alarm went off.I am so glad that I found this forum, so when they call back later this week, we can just let it ring and ring and ring...

This was completely unprofessional on the companies part. Comment you guys heard of "the customer is always right"?

#471994

I guess that we are at an impasse then.

I did not get the credit card statement with that information on it until after the trial period was over and I did not even think of that anyway since I did not have anything to ship back to you.

I still do not think that what we are asking is so unreasonable. We missed the deadline by 14 days for completely understandable reasons.

If you were to meet us half way then I feel that would be equitable. We would be pay 1/2 for our role in the situation.

I hope that this is agreeable otherwise I do not know where to go from here.

Sincerly,

Lowell Dennis

- Lowell Dennis

WordSmartCustomerService

Mr. Dennis,

Our customer service representative does not recall receiving an apology from you so today’s apology is appreciated.

We would be happy to work with you in resolving this issue by either replacing your missing product or exchanging that level for a different WordSmart volume. If the only resolution you are open to is a refund for your initial shipment we will not be able to do this. We are not saying this to be smug or rude, we are simply stating the fact that your initial shipment is not refundable. As you mentioned in your initial complaint, you agreed to a 30 day trial and passed that time period.

Congratulations on having your student do so well on the SAT! Unfortunately this score is outside of our guarantee parameters. As it stated in your first shipment and at www.wordsmart.com the base score must be between 700 and 2100 for the SAT or 13 and 29 for the ACT.

In response to your comment that you didn’t know how to get a hold of us, we actually put our name and phone number on your credit card the day the initial order was placed. This is something we do with all of our charges to make sure our customers always have access to our contact information. A call to your credit card company any time on or after the order date would have given you the required contact information.

Again Mr. Dennis, I'm sorry you are unhappy. You had previously acknowledged responsibility for your first WordSmart shipment since you...

Any further account discussion should be directed to our customer service department at 1-800-641-9673.

WordSmart Customer Service

Let me address you statements one by one.

QUOTE: "As your initial online complaint acknowledges we did work with you previously by refunding you for your second shipment."

It was only after a lot of arguing and persistence on our part that we even got that original concession. You may call it a "refund", but we call it "giving us back what we had never agreed to give you in the first place".

QUOTE: "We also allowed you to keep that item as a free gift."

We never wanted nor appreciated it in the first place, so how is it a gift. It just serves as a unwelcome reminder of all of this.

QUOTE: "In regards to “scholarship help” our sales people are always clear that our program helps students increase their SAT or ACT score there by increasing their chances of getting scholarship money.

Yes, your salesman did tell my wife that it was a tool to increase SAT or ACT scores. We have never said that we did not know what we were buying. What we did say is that touting a test score improvement program as "scholarship help" is misleading. Most people will take "scholarship help" to mean help with finding, filling out, and winning scholarships.

QUOTE: "We actually have a money back guarantee in the increase in the SAT or ACT score."

My daughter got a 2180 on the SAT when she took it this year. So, if she takes it next year and does not get at least a 2380 (very nearly a perfect score) will be then be entitled to a...

QUOTE: "So you’re absolutely right, the sales people should, and do, explain that our product helps to increase these scores."

Yes, he did explain this. What was not clearly explained were the ongoing shipments and charges. My wife was very distracted during the initial call because she was out having dinner with friends. She only talked to you then because my daughter had called her and asked her to do it. At that point my daughter did not know that this was a test score improvement program, she thought it was a program for helping filing and winning scholarships but she did not tell my wife that fact and so when my wife spoke to your salesman she did not know that she was buying something different than what my daughter was looking for.

QUOTE: "We appreciate you reiterating this fact."

You are welcome.

QUOTE: "If you were unhappy with the initial sales call or the product for any reason you only needed to inform us with in your agreed upon 30 day trial."

As I have mentioned before, the original package was misplaced. My wife knew of the "trial" period but she did not remember if it was 30 or 60 or 90 days. Plus, since we did not have the package or any other correspondence, we did not know who to call or where to ship the package for the return anyway.

QUOTE: "Your product was delivered on 3/2/12 and you did not contact us and inform us of any issue until 4/18/12, well after your 30 days had expired."

4/18/2012 was the same day that we got the second shipment. Until that time we could not even remember the name of the company nor did we have any telephone or email with which to contact you. That was the very first day in which we could have contacted you. As you point out, it was 48 days from the date of delivery. 48 is greater than 30 days, but not by that much. It was not like we were contacting you after 90 or 180 days and asking for a refund. Remember again that we had lost the package and until that very day had not know who or how to contact you.

QUOTE: In this contact you and your wife yelled at a representative in our department and stated you would “ream” her.

Yes, my wife got angry and said something for which I do believe I apologized to the lady for. However, your representative was not being very helpful to my wife either. She was brash and stern and was so smug in her position that it infuriated my wife. Again in the public forum I offer a humble apology for what my wife said to her.

QUOTE: "Despite this negativity we refunded you for your second shipment."

I have already covered this.

QUOTE: "We will not be refunding you for anything else. We were not working with you because of your online complaint but because it is the right thing to do."

Smugness, rigidity, and sternness once again.

QUOTE: "You did not inform us that you had misplaced your original package when you contacted us on 4/18/12"

We were never given the chance. The representative was so sure of her position that she hardly listened to my wife. When I got the phone the representative was hostile and rude to me as well. When I tried to speak she would just talk over me and reiterate her anger at what my wife had said and then threaten to file a complaint with the FCC. I really was not given much opportunity to explain anything. In the end she told me that she would have the original call reviewed and that we would be getting a call back before 7:00pm in my time zone indicating what was discovered. I fully intended to try to more calmly state our case at that time. However, the call came after 7:00pm and I was out shuttling kids around and missed it. Whether my wife took the call or not, I do not know but she told me that WardSmart was going to refund us the $60 and did not need to talk to us any further. I took this to mean that WordSmart was going the $60 and no further and that. We were never given the chance to calmly go over all of the facts with WordSmart. I suppose that airing my complaints here may have been a bit childish. Perhaps I should not have used such an aggressive tone of my original post but I posted it later that night while I was still fuming over how we have been treated.

QUOTE: "So upon receipt of this new information we are simply offering to rectify that problem ... if you would like us to replace that initial shipment for you at no cost please call us at 1-800-641-9673 and we would be happy to assist you."

No thank you.

QUOTE: "We do not want to get into an online argument with you, we simply want to make the public aware of the facts since anyone can post anything on the internet, whether it is true or not."

Now you are calling me a liar. I call on you to reread my statements and find even one place where I have lied. All of my statements have been pure truth. In fact, I have gone out of my way to point out the ways in which WordSmart has kept their word ... I did not have to do that, but as an honest man I can do no less.

I think that, had we gotten the opportunity to calmly and rationally present our case to someone whe was truly willing to listen the whole situation could have all be resolved without need of this forum.

I leave the ball in WordSmarts court. They can either chose to continue as they have or work with us to resolve this issue.

Sincerely,

Lowell Dennis

WordSmartCustomerService

Cyberclops,

It is not correct to state that we are ready to work with you because of your public complaint Mr.Dennis.

As your initial online complaint acknowledges we did work with you previously by refunding you for your second shipment. We also allowed you to keep that item as a free gift. In regards to “scholarship help” our sales people are always clear that our program helps students increase their SAT or ACT score there by increasing their chances of getting scholarship money. We actually have a money back guarantee in the increase in the SAT or ACT score.

So you’re absolutely right, the sales people should, and do, explain that our product helps to increase these scores. We appreciate you reiterating this fact. If you were unhappy with the initial sales call or the product for any reason you only needed to inform us with in your agreed upon 30 day trial. Your product was delivered on 3/2/12 and you did not contact us and inform us of any issue until 4/18/12, well after your 30 days had expired.

In this contact you and your wife yelled at a representative in our department and stated you would “ream” her. Despite this negativity we refunded you for your second shipment. We will not be refunding you for anything else. We were not working with you because of your online complaint but because it is the right thing to do.

You did not inform us that you had misplaced your original package when you contacted us on 4/18/12...

We do not want to get into an online argument with you, we simply want to make the public aware of the facts since anyone can post anything on the internet, whether it is true or not.Again, if you would like us to replace that initial shipment for you at no cost please call us at 1-800-641-9673 and we would be happy to assist you.

WordSmart Customer Service

Now this is getting personal. The president of the company is now calling me "absurd" on a public forum ... hardly complimentary.

First, let my say that WordSmart true to their word has refunded us the $60 and has assured us that we will get no more shipments or charges from them ... I hope that they are true to that statement as well.

When I said that the product they are selling "had nothing to do with scholarships" the point I was trying to make was that it did not help in anyway in the discovery or application for scholarship opportunities which is what my daughter was looking for and needing. When one search online for "scholarship help" or gets correspondence offering "scholarship help" this is what I feel that they are most likely looking for or thinking (although my "absurd" mind might be mistaken). If that is true then I think that WordSmart's position here is a bit tenuous and certainly misleading.

Bottom line is, my daughter got a 2180 on the SAT and a 32 on the ACT without any help from WordSmart. What she needs most is help discovering the right scholarships for which to apply and help in knowing the right things to say and highlight to increase her chances of winning these scholarships.

We mistakenly purchased WordSmart and it has proven to be a mistake that just keeps on giving.

All we want is all or money back and for this nightmare to end.

Dear Cyberclops,

I regret that you have not had an ideal experience with WordSmart.

Let us start with your first point that vocabulary, spoken and written communications have nothing to do with scholarships. I believe that reading this back to your self you realize the absurdity of it. If you use WordSmart for only 20 hours you are guaranteed a 200 point increase on the SAT. 200 points will very much affect the likelihood of getting a scholarship. If you did not achieve that increase you get all your money back. WordSmart is the only company in the business that uses only official College Board results from two separate tests. Beware of other companies that use artificially hard internal test so you get a questionable increase. Your daughter could have used WordSmart for 20 hours and been accepted at the college of her choice and maybe gotten a scholarship too. Maybe she still can.

Sincerely, David Kay

So now that we have complained in a public forum you guys are ready to work with us ...that should show others what your company is really like.

You know as well as I do that most people think the term "scholarship help" means helping them get information about or apply for potentail scholarships and not some ethereal promise of better SAT/ACT score. If that is what you really mean why not say "We will help you get better scores on the SAT/ACT. I think I can safely say that a statement like that will not draw as many customers as the "we will help you get scholarships" campaign that you use does ... even if it is misleading.

As far as we are concerned, nothing short of a full and total refund of every cent we have ever given you will even come close to settling this.

After the way we were misled and mistreated any cent of profit you make off of us will be too much.The BBB should be contacting you soon.